PM Narendra Modi just announced a new digital payments alternative for the Indian public – the BHIM App. Soon after the demonetization move was taken, PM Modi started pushing India to switch to digital payments. This move has come with its own struggles and shortcomings, however India is trying to adapt cashless methods more than ever.
What is BHIM App and how it will help the general public?
BHIM stands for Bharat Interface for Money. It is a refined version of UPI apps that were launched in August 2016 with 21 banks. Since their launch, UPI apps have been bearing the brunt of harsh criticism by the general public. Complaints have been surfacing about the poor UI of these apps and slow operations. BHIM App however has uncluttered UI & easy navigation.
Details about the BHIM App
BHIM App works with most nationalised, Government & private banks of India. This is how it works:
- The app is 2 MB in size, thus very convenient for everyone to download and keep.
- When you download it, the app asks you for permission to send an SMS and verify your phone number.
- Once verified, the phone number is used to access your bank accounts. You can login to your bank accounts using the BHIM App.
- If you have accounts with more than 1 bank, you can easily switch between the accounts.
- The BHIM App works on IMPS service. This implies that you can make a transaction 24 hours, 7 days a week without worrying about bank holidays or timings.
- The maximum transaction range is Rs. 20000 per day via BHIM app whereas in 1 transaction you can transfer a maximum of RS. 10000 only.
- The app also has the facility to send money via QR code or mobile number.
How does BHIM App Affect the Startup Community?
The startup community has always been pushing the country to go digital, whether it is through ecommerce, ewallets, services marketplaces and what not. Snapdeal also took this initiative of delivering cash at home during the cash crunch in November & December. Thus, digitalisation will definitely help startups to get more active users as more and more Indians will start using smartphones and coming online. However the effect of this App on mobile payment wallets is unknown. Only the coming time will tell if this effects or boosts mobile wallet businesses.
BHIM is a very good initiative by PM Narendra Modi. You can download the app here.